The program works in three modes: Extended, Standard and Automatic. In Extended mode all functions are available at the cost of using a large amount of controls and it is intended primarily for complicated tasks in offset printing. The extended mode can be enabled in Settings. Standard mode displays features that are usually used in digital printing. Automatic mode is suitable for simple, quick and clear impositions.
Features like splitting into signatures – Groups of sheets, Correction of paper thickness, More impositions and Automatic page assignment are not available in Standard mode. It is also possible to work with only one "Pages for imposition" palette and some types of Marks are not available.
In Automatic mode many control features are set to automatic calculations and hidden. The same behavior of Montax Imposer can be achieved by manually selecting these features to automatic calculations; however, hiding them makes the interface more user-friendly and simple to operate. Of course, the options of impositions are limited in the mode compared to standard mode, but it can be used for many typical impositions.
There features are automatic and hidden in the Auto mode:
- Only one group of pages for imposition is retained, others are canceled. "Pages for imposition" palette is unavailable. Orientation of pages is unified according to first page.
- More impositions cannot be used. If more impositions are used when switching to auto mode only the current imposition is kept and the others are removed.
- Only Trim marks, Registration marks and Sheet labels can be used in the Marks palette.
- Correction of paper thickness is unavailable.
- Group of sheets is unavailable.
- Automatic page assignment is unavailable.
- Pages cannot be manually assigned to positions, positions cannot be selected manually and properties of positions cannot be set.
- Margin of imposition is calculated automatically.
- Sizes of positions (rows and columns) are calculated automatically.
- Bleed is determined automatically from pages for imposition.
- The sheet is filled automatically.
- The front and the back side of a sheet are linked.
- More sheets are created automatically if needed.